Home Page Link
About Us Page Link
FAQs Page Link
Event Page Link
Link to Link Page
Reference Page Link

Council of Elders Minutes

Current Minutes

Elders retreat FALL 2015

The ELDER RETREAT MINUTES FOLLOW BELOW

===========================================================================

PRESENT: Diane Albino, Alan Cohn, Katie Cousins, Jain Elliott, Peggy Fitzgerald Robert Jacobs,
Heather Kent, Roger Lesiak, Michael James Long, Robert “Mouseman” McCarthy, Eric
Nicholson, Patricia Van Esso, Jon Pincus, Chris Harrison, Anita Sweeten, Sue Barnhart, Bonnie
Clarke, Licia Shultz (facilitator) and Dee Wirak (also note taker)
ANNOUCEMENTS-October 14 is the Country Fair Cross Country Invitational. It is a wonderful,
growing high school event on site.
-Alan will be a keyholder, Katie has been in touch with norma to obtain a second key for the
office.
-Bonnie and Marsha will continue co-host the Still Living Room for the 2016 fair. If you would like
a photo of your loved one to be displayed, in black frame, contact Bonnie at
abbc1937@hotmail.com
-CALC has a fundraiser October 24.
-the GMO petition for Lane County needs signatures to be on the ballot.
-vote for the BoD on or before the annual meeting, Saturday, October 17 at the Whitaker Grade
School, party afterwards.
-Mary Sprag has passed on
-To garner more elder involvement, Michael would like to start a monthly newsletter both online
and mailed copy which he is willing to sponsor initially. If interested in assisting contact him,
Peggy or Alan. He will seek elders committee authorization to use the elders database to send
message to all elders, people could opt in or unsubscribe at any time.
-KOCF is 3 months up and running, broadcasting 24/7. Their first live broadcast will be the game
this Friday’s (10/16/15). They held an open house a week and a half ago and there is an article in
the Fern Ridge Review. This effort has been supported by community and elder volunteers. The
Oregon Country Fair has provided zero funds to date. It is easy to make donations on the
website kocf.org. Funds are needed.
-Request is made by committee member to just have a reader’s digest version of our meeting
presented at BoD meetings.
-suggestion was made that an old voucher not be laminated without first talking to an archivist
-SPIRITWALK-October 24, potluck, 5 p.m. set up the Yurt, walk around the fair site will start at
dusk.
MEETING BEHAVIOR-Listen, don’t talk over each other, Licia will see your hand and put you in
the cue, don’t take offense if turn is forgotten or out of order, If someone volunteers find out what
you can do to help, show appreciation, acknowledge volunteers. Participants are encouraged to
use hand signals which were demonstrated for: off subject, talking too much, wrap it up. Alan
volunteered to be the timekeeper for this meeting giving a two minute warning. Review this again
at committee meetings.
KIDS IN CAMP-A rule of no kids overnight camping at elder camp has been in place but not
widely advertised. Jon Silvermoon thinks this may be against fair policy. If that can be proven
we would change our policy, Licia will follow up, if not, we will advertise this policy on our pass
request form. We may reconsider this policy if, when we have additional camping areas. Elders
should arrange to speak with Dennis Todd (LUMP) regarding additional camping, also plan to
work with Tom G. and camping crew.
SHOWERS-Norma Baum presented a written proposal to improve the shower persona near Elder
camp. She has a work history with the Parks service and is a sign painter for the fair. She comes
down early from Seattle so could be onsite to help instigate improvements in signage, safety,
cleanliness. She herself does not need a pass. We feel fortunate to have her take an interest.

She is requesting two assistant “shower caps.” We could offer passes to elders in these
positions. She will be directed to speak with Shane, site manager regarding supplies and budget
matters. The most helpful signage would indicate that the showers are reserved for elder and
alter-able use during the fair but they are available for others til Wed pre-fair. Avoid naming or renaming
the area.
ELDER INVENTORY AGREEMENT- Reviewed the current document. Some of the dates need
revision. The form and our historical process are reasonable and are used to determine the
number of passes elders will require each fair. The first come first served statement regarding
parking, per the agreement, is no longer a concern as handicapped parking needs were
adequately addressed this year.
There is a suggestion to add the underlined wording-3rd paragraph’s last sentence, replacing all
qualified elders-to read-“An updated master list of all Elders utilizing an elder pass for the current
fair will be provided to Operations and Inventory at this time.”
Elder status was discussed.
GEEZER PLEASER-Arrangements for an electric golf cart were made well before the fair using
Action Rental in Eugene. We did not have enough drivers, drivers need training. First aid,
defibulator and fire extinguisher should be on hand-check with Jacob, Quartermaster. Jon will
talk to Chuck at Whitebird to lead a training for drivers. Designated routes were helpful per one
driver comment. A Tuesday to Tuesday rental period would be more useful than Monday to
Monday Chris is willing to be in charge of the Geezer but would like a co-coordinator and asks to
be put on the Elders Committee. Peggy will be asked to see that the elder camp utilize Tinkerbell
for 2016 fair.
GRATITUDE SUBCOMMITTEE-Anita Sweeten offers to assist, Dee has her contact info, need to
bring up at next elders committee meeting to get more on board. Michael has a template.
SCHEDULING-Jon will check with the WOW Hall for our December gathering, he was given
preferred dates and he’ll get back to us once arranged. Nov. Elders Committee meeting is moved
up one week to November 19 and will be at the Grower’s Market.
SPRING RETREAT- MARCH 12-13, 2016 confirmed. Agenda items held over --coordinator
appointment, emergency preparedness planning/training and Geezer, part 2. Plan for the 2016
events and fair.
UPCOMING MEETINGS/LOCATION-Meetings will be held at the Grower’s Market rather than the
Fair office. October 22 (7 p.m.) Elders Committee meeting will be held at Grower’s Market, 454
Williamette Street.; November 19 at the Grower’s Market. December tba.

DOWNLOAD Current Retreat MINUTES

No DOWNLOAD of the Current MINUTES is available. You may copy and paste or save this web page.

NEXT Council AGENDA Items
(...so far)

To Be Announced

NOTE: At the begining of the Council Meeting, AGENDA items may be added, deleted and prioritized. Contact the web master (links page) to add agenda items.

A Council Meeting is scheduled tentatively in the near future or will wait till after the 2016 Oregon Counry Fair in the Fall

Contact person for collation of discussion and opinion on Generational Issues is Robert Jacobs, who can be reached through: Elders Committee.

Contact person for Elders Data Base issues is Mike@JamesGangPublishing.com

Previous Council Minutes
April 2015

The meeting began at 1:00 PM on Saturday, April 12, 2015 at Alice’s on OCF property.

Elders PRESENT: No formal role was taken.
Robert Jacobs was facilitator:

These are the "unofficial minutes" by Mike JamesLong who will not be offended if there are edits and corrections. Contact the webmaster. Names of commentators were included herein because it seemed more personable and not controversial.

So right off the bat, there was a question brought forth about OCF Process in different areas of the Fair Family and crews, booths, and assorted happenings and history. It was mentioned; Why even have a Council of Elders - which has no authority or power decision making?

Etienne Smith commented that "service" should be the Focus and Intent ... Goals should equal the Code of Conduct. The Council of Elders represents a broad cross-section of the membership... in effect it represents a pulic relations volunteer for the vast membership of the OCF.

Mambo expressed that it was a non-confrontational political action group.

Mike JamesLong felt that the Fair grievance process was disfunctional... yes there is one, however, time and time again those who feel aggrieved continually end up at BOD meetings to express their case because of the disfunction of the process.

Etienne responded that the Fair should have more transparency about grievances and the process or any redress.

Heather Kent related that there is a well known perception among the membership that Priviledge and Power are the currency of the Fair.

Mambo suggested that the Council at some future time sponsor Johnny Ley (?) who speaks at venues about Race, Priviledge and Diversity.

John Pincus commented that there must be opertives made that enact achievable results or functions.

Jerry Joffe felt that the OCF doesn't have enough paid staff ... because there are so many volunteers (even the Board of Directors are volunteers), all the work and tasks of all the different areas can get compromised by time constraints of all the volunteers.

Robert McCarthy felt that the large number of issues that the OCF Committees are faced with, are in dire need of guidance.

ACTION TAKEN:

It was moved by Michael JamesLong, and seconded by Robert Jacobs, that Etienne Smith be appointed to the Council of Elders Clerical Committee to replace the vacancy of Chris Browne's passing. Unanimous consent!

We hope to call a special meeting of the Council of Elders and all stakeholders concerning the Utilikilt and Liberty Coffee Booth issues, in the near future. The CE Clerical Committee is in process of gathering information and participants to this event.

....MJL

DOWNLOAD PREVIOUS Elder Committee MINUTES
CLICK THIS LINK
Council Actions Taken
The Council of Elders has decided the following issues:

1. It was decided that the "Council" should become known as the Council of Elders. This website has been edited to reflect the name change, but the URL is still: www.ocfelderscouncil.org

2. The name of the subcommittee appointed to be responsible for Council clerical functions is to be called: “Council Clerical Committee”

3. Structure of Council Clerical Committee:
Number of participants? At present 3 to 5 have been authorized and 3 persons volunteered; Robert Jacobs, Etienne Smith and Michael JamesLong
Term limits? NO.
Selection of members? By volunteering, at present.
Rotation of members? Train and recruit new persons if there is "burnout.".

4. Should there be a written description of the Clerical Committee at this time?
The Council Clerical Committee was directed to write its own statement for the record.

5. Should the Council obtain a paid Facilitator? NO.

6. Should the Council obtain a paid Secretary? NO.

7. Should minutes/abbreviated minutes/unofficial minutes be taken of Council meetings?
It was decided that if minutes were taken by a volunteer (anyone present is free to make unofficial notes) they should include the Agenda and a record of any decisions made. There was a consensus to publish outcomes only, not specific details of who said what. Our goal should be to produce a working statement and if necessary a Summarization of Issues on contentious issues.

8. How should minutes be posted? Web site, eMail, Snail Mail, All??
YES on this website, eMail by volunteer to listserve, Snail Mail on request.

9. Will proxy votes be acceptable? NO. Any exceptions would have to be decided by the Council itself on a case by case basis.

10. Should the COUNCIL seek to be an Official Committee of the OCF and appointed by the Board of Directors? NO.

11. Process of Council Meetings:
Where? Where ever it can be arranged by the Council Clerical Committee.
Note: To date, it has been coordinated by the OCF Elders Committee.
How often? A minimum of twice a year.
Format of discussion? Discussion to proceed around the room with the aid of a volunteer facilitator.
Time limits, number of times to speak? Decision by facilitator with consensus of those present. If more formality needed, those present can consense.
Decision Making: Collaborative Documention to support our goal of having a working statement issued by the Council.
Note: We envision this need only when issues are brought to the Council of Elders for our opinion. With contentious issues the Council envisions an "Old Business/ New Business" format with probable setting of the next meeting within a lesser time than the current 6 month period.

12. Should the COUNCIL have subcommittees when needed? ONLY when needed.

13. Should the COUNCIL have eMail list management - a listing of the managers contact information?
Discussion centered on what is currently available: a) OCF Discuss - a listserve for all Fair Family b) Wonderful OCF Elders - a listserve for OCF elders and c) ELDERWRISTBANDS@GMAIL.COM - an eMail address for all things "Elder." These links are posted on the LINKS page of this site. It was suggested we post a small notice in the FFN monthly to inform the Fair Family of the website and the information/contact options.

14. Should the COUNCIL establish a mechanism to fund events, actions, or other business?
Yes, October 4, 2009, an Official Bank Account was established with co-signers, Robert Jacobs and Diane Albino. (As of January 2011 it contained $163.)

... Last edit: November 17, 2015

TOP